- Ron Mercer, Chairman, Treasurer and Membership Secretary
- Ron Mercer is our new Chair for 2013. Ron has been Treasurer of the association since 1993 and was Chair between 1995 and 1999. His focus has been to support and extend the vision of its founder members to provide a multi-disciplinary representation for qualified therapists, where the emphasis is on standards of training and professionalism.
His experience of the benefits of complementary therapies during a time of personal crisis led to a desire to understand the various approaches in greater depth. His training journey, in parallel with his own personal journey, extended through massage, aromatherapy, counselling, craniosacral therpay and the profound "Journey" led by Brandon Bays.
One of the most rewarding jobs on behalf of the association for Ron is to act as an examiner in swedish, therapeutic, hawaiian and indian head massage and aromatherapy. This gives him a chance to meet the therapists of the future and to learn from each individual, as well as confirming their suitability to become eligible for full membership of the association and professionally represent it to the general public.
- Sorrel de la Hey, Vice Chair, Schools and Exams Co-ordinator
- After a decade in London working in the music industry, Sorrel returned to her native Somerset in 2003 to pursue her earlier interest in complementary therapies. She has trained extensively in massage therapy, studying Thai yoga, Swedish, Remedial & Pregnancy massages. Sorrel runs a practice across South Somerset and Dorset.
Sorrel’s interest in massage and bodywork was fostered by her love of yoga. She has been practising yoga for over 10 years and is a British Wheel of Yoga teacher running classes, workshops and holidays in the UK and Egypt.
Sorrel is Schools and Exams Co-ordinator as well as Secretary for the APNT. She is also an assessor on some postgraduate courses.
- Jan Trewartha, General Secretary, Communications, Fascia and Energy Consultant
- Originally, Jan trained as a State Registered Nurse then moved into complementary therapy in 1992. She lives in Windsor on a boat, loving being close to nature, “There’s nothing like watching swans glide past your window while you’re washing up ….”
Jan started all those years ago by training in Massage and in Aromatherapy but has been drawn towards Trauma Release which is now her specialism. Working in Windsor and Somerset keeps her busy but she also founded and runs Body in Harmony Training, teaching diploma courses in Body Realignment and in Therapeutic Massage. Jan also writes and has had articles published in, amongst other publicaitons, Massage World, Today's Therapist and Paradigm Shift. Her passions are the subtle energies and the fascia, and she finds the body and its less tangible elements a constant source of fascination. More information on her work is available at: www.bodyinharmony.org.uk.
Jan is also our website editor and In Touch editor this year.
- Brittany Spence, Social Media Secretary, Therapy Consultants Coordinator
- Brittany graduated from the Pensacola School of Massage Therapy and Health Careers (www.psmthc.com) in 2004, after completing the 650 hrs training. Originally from Pensacola, Florida in the United States, Brittany moved to the UK in 2005 with her husband and son. In 2011, she furthered her training with the Body in Harmony School with Jan Trewartha and now works as a Body Realigner. Through her own personal journey, Brittany has gained a strong passion and empathy for helping people get the most out of their lives.
- Carol Jordan, Aromatherapy Consultant
- I practise from Wayside Surgery in King’s Road, Horley and also from home in Burstow, Surrey, offering a variety of services relating to the field of complementary medicine. I practice aromatherapy, reflexology, Reiki, sports and therapeutic massage, Hot Stones Fusion for massage and reflexology, TMJ and am currently doing the Chrysalis Effect Recovery Programme for ME. I have had a therapy business for 20 years, work at 5 nursing homes seeing 20 people a week who are mainly young with things like cerebral palsy and am also a tutor and examiner in therapeutic massage, aromatherapy and reflexology and aromatherapy/reflexology in the workplace.
I've been involved with the APNT almost since the beginning of my involvement in complementary medicine: firstly as Administrator, then as General Secretary, a member of the Aromatherapy Sub-Committee, Reflexology Consultant and now as Aromatherapy Consultant.
- Helen Neal, Reflexology Consultant
- Helen has been the APNT reflexology consultant since 2007, a role which she sees as enabling her to promote the merits and benefits of reflexology. Although Helen is also qualified in Holistic and Sports Massage, reflexology remains her prime interest and she represents the APNT on the Reflexology Regulatory Council. She also chairs the forums education and training committee.
To further promote reflexology, Helen is the editor of the reflexology section of Massage World Magazine and runs training and CPD events.
Helen originally trained in reflexology at the education centre at West Middlesex Hospital and also trained with the American International Institute of Reflexology at their London college. Further study has been with Dwight Byers in America and with Tony Porter with whom Helen gained her Advanced Reflexology Techniques (A.R.T) qualification.
In her personal practice Helen has a specialised interest in maternity reflexology which she studied under the renowned expert and retired midwife, Susanne Enzer and enjoys bringing the techniques of massage and reflexology together into combined treatments.